Saturday, May 2, 2009

Something About Forty Something

This is my dad Jim and my little sister April and this photo was taken sometime in 1974. My dad was 42. He had quit smoking and taken up jogging. My brother Tony and I would try to get up early to go with him but most of the time, I fell behind because I couldn't keep up. My dad was pretty fast and my brother would run with all his might to keep up, I guess he was far more determined than I to finish. We were only 9 and 10 and I remember the feeling of failure to keep pace. Of course now I realize we were just little kids and even though my brother finished he would be wiped out and exhausted. I would usually make it about half way and walk the rest of the way home.

But what I remember most about his running in the morning was how he would sit on the driveway afterwards with his newspaper and coffee and wait with my sister for her bus. I think it was one the highlights of his day. One thing my father did pretty well was to live in the moment and enjoy it for what it was.


I am 44 now and I am a grandmother. That's my little grandboy Brian on my back and I really enjoy being with him whenever and wherever we are. He and his mommy, my daughter Rachel moved back home in December last year and I feel so fortunate to have him with me each day.

I run now and even though I am still slow, I finish and I relish that I can do it now. I think of my father quite a bit on my runs and I wish he were here to run with me. It would be nice to share the road with him and in some ways, I still get to.


No comments:

charity:water